The article originally appeared in Carolina Parent.
This weekend, the Triangle shows off its eclectic family fun. Head out to festivals that celebrate summer, art and crafts and ... chimney swifts. Attend a "house-warming party" and parade for these little birds, and learn about their big impact on the eco-system. Go for a circus-themed back-to-school bash. Be entertained by giant puppets at an outdoor amphitheater, or head to a baseball game and enjoy fireworks. Savor honey and discover why honeybees matter at Honeybee Day. Take a day trip out of the Triangle for a celebration of model trains.
1. Cary's free Lazy Daze Arts & Crafts Festival Lazy Daze Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., features 300 artists, five stages of live entertainment, food vendors and a "Kid's World" for children to get creative on Cary's Town Hall Campus, at 314 N. Academy Street. Photo courtesy of Town of Cary
2. The Chimney Swift Family Festival, Saturday, 4-9 p.m. at Prairie Ridge Ecostation for Wildlife & Learning in Raleigh offers a look at life through the eyes of a swift. Build a nest, try on a pair of life-sized wings, and peek inside the newly-built Chimney Swift Tower. Go on guided nature walks and talk to swift experts. Stay cool at misting stations and enjoy craft activities, live music and food trucks. To celebrate the completion of the tower, attend a symbolic "housewarming party" and watch a parade for the birds.
3. It's Honeybee Day at State Farmers Market Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in Raleigh. Learn about the importance of honeybees through entertaining exhibits, and sample and buy local honey from vendors.
4. Artspace's Family Fun Day Saturday, 12:30-3 p.m., in Raleigh, features artists' demonstrations, face-painting, carnival treats and art activities. Admission to the festival is free, food and some activities require a ticket. See creations in the Artspace Youth Exhibition, which runs Aug. 19.
5. Northgate Mall in Durham will host a free Children's Back-to-School Bash Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Go for interactive circus-style activities with Cirque de Vol, train and animal rides, balloon twisting and face painting. Register-to-win merchant giveaways. Photo courtesy of Northgate Mall
6. Paperhand's "A Drop in the Bucket" giant puppet pageant†about the world of tiny places is at Forest Theatre in Chapel Hill. Performances are at 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Catch a matinee show at 3 p.m. Sunday.†Photo below of Paperhand Puppet Intervention
7. The Durham Bulls play the Toledo Mud Hens on Friday, Aug. 21 and the Columbus Clippers Saturday, Aug. 22, and after both games you can enjoy fireworks.
Photo courtesy of†Durham Bulls Baseball Club
8. Have your kids experienced an outdoor movie on a big screen? The N.C. Museum of Art in Raleigh will be showing movies about space under the stars this weekend. Go to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" (G) Friday, and "Interstellar"†(PG-13) Saturday. Photo courtesy of N.C. Museum of Art
9. Got train buffs in your family? Join the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer Saturday and Sunday for a celebration of model trains.
Photo courtesy of N.C. Transportation Muesum