"It's simple: By gardening with native plants, no matter where you live or how small or large your space is, you can help sustain wildlife." - Doug Tallamy, Bringing Nature Home
Your yard -- and the kinds of plants in it -- matters more than you may know. Native plants play a very important role in providing the food birds need to survive and thrive in a way that non-native plants cannot do.
Native plants are those that occur naturally in an area. North Carolina, with its diverse geography, is home to thousands of native plant species! Our natural wildlife - including birds - have adapted to the resources provided by North Carolina's native plant population. These plants and trees are, in a real sense, home for our birds.
The current population of native plants is becoming displaced by non-native, exotic and often vigorously growing species. These invasive exotic plants encroach on natural habitats and do not provide the nutrients many birds need to survive.
Why are native plants important?
In a word: insects... Almost all land birds require insects to feed their young. Even seed-eating birds often must feed their babies insects to ensure their survival. Insects cannot adapt to eating non-native plants. Less native plants means less insects, which in turn means fewer bird babies growing to adulthood.
Where to find native plants?
Below, you will find a list of recommended and approved nurseries in North Carolina that specialize in selling native seeds and plants. This list has been compiled by our partner organization, the NC Native Plant Society.
- Campbell Family Nursery
- Carolina Heritage Nursery
- Carolina Native Nursery
- Carolina Wetland Services, Inc.
- Cill Ide Native Plant Nursery
- Coastal Plain Conservation Nursery, Inc.
- Cure Nursery
- Gardens of the Blue Ridge, Inc.
- Gardens in the Wood of Grassy Creek
- Growing Native Nursery
- Growing Wild Nursery
- Hanging Dog Valley Nursery
- Lumber River Native Plants
- Mellow Marsh Farm
- Mountain Landscapes and Horticulture
- "My Garden" Plants Company
- Native Roots Nursery
- Niche Gardens
- Old Salem Garden Shop
- Painters Greenhouse
- Red Root Native Nursery
- Renfrow Hardware & General Merchandise
- Southeastern Native Plant Nursery
- Southern Heritage Nursery
Find region specific native plant guides below.
- Birds and Climate Change
- Putting Working Lands to Work for Birds and People
- Sharing Our Seas & Shores
- Saving Important Bird Areas
- Bird-Friendly Communities
- Issues and Policy