Registration is open for the 2017 Audubon North Carolina Chapter/Network Day!
All Audubon NC chapter members, Audubon Ambassadors, and those interested in creating hubs of Audubon action in North Carolina are invited to our annual Chapter Day at the North Carolina Zoo. Starting this year, the newly-renamed Chapter/Network Day also celebrates our growing network of supporters in the state!
The event will be full of sharing successes, figuring out solutions to challenges, and learning effective strategies for advocacy; diversity and inclusion; and cultivating successful leaders.
We are delighted to have as our special guest David Ringer, Chief Network Officer for the National Audubon Society. David joined his local Audubon chapter in Missouri as a teenager, and Audubon has been an important part of his life ever since.
We hope everyone will walk away with new tools, new ideas, and new friends.
- What: 2017 Audubon North Carolina Chapter/Network Day
- When: Saturday, August 5, 9:30 AM - 3 PM; optional zoo field trip 3 – 5:30 PM
- Where: North Carolina Zoo, 4401 Zoo Parkway, Asheboro, NC
This one-day meeting is a mix of training sessions lead by Audubon staff, networking, and chapter presentations to share inspiring ideas and learn new strategies for engaging more people in bird conservation and advocacy.
COST: $15 includes lunch, beverages, and refreshments.
We’ve hired the zoo catering service and as a result, unlike in previous years, there’s no bring-your-own-lunch option. When you register, be sure to share any food needs so we can make sure you have a lunch you’ll enjoy. For an additional $15, you may register for a special behind-the-scenes tour of the avian breeding facility, plus a visit to the aviary, guided by Curator of Birds Debbie Zombeck. Space for this special tour is limited to 25 people; registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis, so register early!
9:30 am: Social Time & Registration
10 am: Welcome & Opening Remarks
Heather Hahn, Executive Director, Audubon NC
10:15 am: Building an Audubon Network that is Capable, Connected, Diverse, and Growing
David Ringer, Chief Network Officer, National Audubon Society
10:25 am: Chapter Round-robin
Chapter Presidents or Their Designees
11 am: How to Build a Successful Board and Leadership Pipeline
Audubon Convention Delegates
11:45 am: How to Practice Diversity and Inclusion
Audubon Convention Delegates
12:30 pm: Lunch (included in registration fee)
1:15 pm: A High-Flying View of Bird-Friendly Communities
Curtis Smalling, Director of Conservation, Audubon NC
1:35 pm: How to Build Good Relationships with Your Lawmakers
Greg Andeck, Director of Strategy and Government Relations, Audubon NC
2:20 pm: Closing Remarks and Note to Self
2:30 pm: Social Time (brownies, tea, coffee)
3 to 5:30 pm: Optional: Behind-the-scenes tour of avian breeding and holding facility, plus a visit to the aviary, guided by Curator of Birds Debbie Zombeck.
Space is limited to 25 people; registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional cost of $15.
Directions to the Zoo:
Address is 4401 Zoo Parkway, Asheboro NC 27205
- From Hwy 64 turn onto Zoo Parkway (left or right) depending on the direction you are coming.
- Travel approximately 6 miles, Zoo entrance will be on the left. Large banner on the left just before.
- You will see the Elephant sculptures on your right as you turn left.
- When you reach the caution light- turn left and then a 2nd left into the North America parking lot.
- The Stedman Education Building will be located directly in front of you.
- The parking lot is in front of the Stedman Education Building and there is no charge.
- The Multi-purpose Room (MPR) is located in the Stedman Education Building outside of the Zoo entrance.
- When you enter the Stedman Building the Multi-purpose Room is located directly behind the reception desk.